Summer Cookout Veggie Burger July 22, 2016 14:58
We're all so excited for fall weather and style, but we don't want to wish summer away just yet. We still have plenty of weekend getaways, summer weddings, and poolside cookouts to attend. We love trading recipes around the office from cocktails to healthy alternatives.
Last night veggie burgers were on the menu and oh my YUM. This recipe was inspired by a girls' night dinner at a local burger joint earlier this week that served the most AHH-mazing veggie burgers. We'd love to go back everyday, but why spend $10 per burger when you can make this yummy homemade recipe for 4 times as much food and less than half the price?
We seriously can't get over these burgers! This was our first attempt at this recipe and it was delicious! This recipe serves about 4-5, depending on how big you make your patties. Grab three or four of your besties and try our new favorite vegetarian recipe for when you want a tasty burger but still want to feel and look cute in your bikini!
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
1 (16 oz.) can black beans
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2-1 cup bread crumbs or rolled oats
**For consistency purposes, you may need to add an extra egg or more bread crumbs/oats to have the patties stick together.
To create your healthy masterpiece:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
2. Add peppers, garlic, and onion in a food processor.*
3. Add drained, rinsed, and dried black beans into the food processor.*
*If you don't have a food processor:
Chop peppers, onion, and garlic as finely as humanly possible.
Mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty, then add veggie mixture to beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, salt, and chili sauce.
5. In a larger bowl, stir the egg mixture into the black bean mixture.
6. Add bread crumbs or oats into the mixture until the consistency is firm enough to create about 4 patties.
For oven baking, cook patties on each side for 10 minutes.
For grilling, cook patties on aluminum foil for about 8 minutes on each side.
7. Add your favorite toppings as if you were eating a normal burger and enjoy!